Thursday, February 6, 2014

Dasani

Recently our class read a 5 part NY Times article about a homeless girl in NYC named Dasani. It was a story about how there are not just homeless men and women, but homeless families. This story shows how the families are in trouble of loosing everything. They live in shelters and have terrible living conditions. Even though they live in a shelter, it doesn't mean that they have even decent living conditions. She lives with her parents, who are both drug addicts, and her 7 siblings, on of which is an infant. After reading the story I don't know what to think. Its like a city version of Beasts of the Southern Wild. Both families live in poverty, but at least In the BotSW, there is a reason they live in poor conditions. They can thrive in those conditions. Dasani cannot. It seems hard to except that there are children who have to live this way. It makes me feel petty when I don't like what Gatorade flavor comes out of the machine.
I feel like if I could tell Dasani something, it would to be determined. You have fought all this way to get out of poverty. Do not throw it all away because you feel like fighting someone. It will not be worth it.
While there are similarities in the drive Dasani has to succeed, there are multiple differences. For example, I go to a wonderful school without medal detectors and I always have a good meal. However, I feel that our drive would unite us.
I also feel sort of disappointed with the ending. I would like to know what happened to her. I want to know if she is succeeding. I also want to know where they live. It seems the story left me with a lot of questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment